"The ordinary acts we practice every day at home are of more importance than their simplicity might suggest" Thomas Moore

Tuesday, December 15, 2009

The $25 Grocery Challenge!

I've decided to start posting my weekly shopping trips again so that the whole world knows what we eat at our house. Just kidding, hopefully I will inspire some of you to visit the blogs I have listed because couponing can save you a LOT of money and you get to try brands you would have never tried otherwise. On top of that, it's actually quite fun and it makes me feel like i'm doing my part to keep our family happy, healthy and financially afloat. Since I quit my job we'll be trying to live on $25 a week for groceries and i'll do a post every week to prove that it can be done.

(1) 9 lb Whole Turkey
(8) Green Giant Valley Fresh Steamer Vegetables
(1) 1 lb Fresh Chicken Breasts
(1) 5 lb bag of White Lily All Purpose Flour
(1) Publix Hot Cocoa
(2) Sargento Shredded Cheddar Cheese
(1) Publix Large Eggs
(2) Shelby Chicken Chili Mix
(1) 3M Command Hooks
(1) Kraft Mayonaise
(1) Publix Sour Cream
(1) Green Pepper
(1) White Onion
(1) Rex Goliath Merlot Bottle of Wine
(1) Gallon of Milk
(1) New England Coffee
(1) Betty Crocker Yellow Cake Mix
(1) Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix
Total before sales and coupons : $79.38
Total after sales and coupons: $25.13
70% savings (not my best trip - but I got a bottle of WINE and a WHOLE turkey!)

Here's what's on the menu at our house this week:
Turkey Breast with Mashed Potatoes and Green Bean Casserole
White Chicken Chili with Cheddar Bay Biscuits
Turkey Tetrazzini (i'll probably add a bag of frozen mixed veggies to this for some color)
Frozen Stouffers Lasagna with Salad and Garlic Toast
Aimee's Easy Chicken with Asian Style Vegetables (an all time favorite at our house)

1 comment:

  1. Hey, Jaime! I love your blog! Anyway, I was telling my husband last night about your $25 a week grocery challenge (crazy unbelievable, by the way!), and he told me that he would be willing to pay YOU $50 a week to cut coupons for us so we could do the $25 a week challenge. He was obviously kidding, but sadly we would still be saving money! Haha! I am no good at the couponing thing! I tried for a while, but then quit. You really inspire me though! It sure beats the $125 a week that I spend!

    ReplyDelete