"The ordinary acts we practice every day at home are of more importance than their simplicity might suggest" Thomas Moore

Sunday, November 1, 2009

Bye Bye Bear


What kind of people give away their dog??? Apparently WE are that kind of people—not because he was snapping at the baby or even chewing on the furniture, but simply because we don't have enough time and/or energy to devote to him. Bear is a high energy, extremely "spirited" (as our neighbor put it) boxer who came to live with us about 2 years ago. Bear is the polar opposite of Dixie, in that he needs constant attention and play time. Sweet Dixie can pretty much occupy herself with a "bobo toy" and a rawhide.

Jim and I wouldn't have given Bear to just anyone, we were determined to find the right "fit". Jim works with a guy whose family has been dog-less for a couple of years. They came to meet Bear last Wednesday night (3 little girls ages 3, 5 and 8) and it was love at first…lick. Within minutes the 8 year old was begging her parents to take him home. Bear was really great with the kids, he licked them from head to toe, chased them around the living room and rolled with them on the floor. (and he didn't seem to mind when the 5 year old pulled him by the ears and tail).

I cried the entire car ride Saturday morning when we took Bear to his new home. I really do think that we will be better off with only one dog, and that Bears life will be better with his new family, but I can't help feeling like I've failed him somehow.

We will miss Bear very much. I will not, however, miss the slobber all over our walls, windows and doors.


Bye Bye Bear :-) Moose loves you


2 comments:

  1. aaaw--make's me feel sad, but just think howe much easier your life will be with just one pooch. Love you guys!!
    MOM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad things are going well for Bear. It must have been very hard to give him up, but it looks like you found a great home for him. Those three active girls are just what he needed!

    Susan

    ReplyDelete