"The ordinary acts we practice every day at home are of more importance than their simplicity might suggest" Thomas Moore

Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Surgery

Thank God for one amazing husband, a super mother in law and some wonderful friends.
The saga began Sunday two weeks ago, before bed I noticed a large lump in my right breast but really thought nothing of it because clogged milk ducts are quite common while breastfeeding. For the next two days I did everything the lactation consultant recommended (massage, hot compress, nurse nurse nurse, pump, etc) I even tried a few "natural remedies" but to no avail. I had my one month post partum visit that Wednesday and the doctor diagnosed it as mastitis and prescribed antibiotics. After 24 hours of antibiotic treatment I saw no improvement, it actually was getting worse so I called my OB Thursday afternoon and she sent me to the Hsv Hospital Breast Center for an ultrasound.  They found two large, hard abscesses inside my right breast.The radiologist extracted some matter for testing and attempted to drain them but was unable because of how deep in the breast tissue they were located. Here is what I learned about breast abcesses.  They are rare, occurring in 3-11 percent of women who have infectious mastitis. Abscesses can also develop with a recurrent plug that keeps occurring in the same spot.  Abscesses can sometimes be resolved just by being aspirated, but must sometimes be surgically drained (called an incision and drainage, or I&D). It is important to request that any incision be made radially (from the chest in towards the nipple) instead of around the areola. Many breast surgeries are done around the areola for aesthetic reasons, but this cuts more milk ducts and may affect milk supply. After an I&D, the incision is left open and packed with a dressing so that it can continue to drain and heal from the inside out.
I was in a lot of pain (like dull knife blade jabbing my breast pain) over the weekend, add in a 5 week old that would not sleep and a 3 year old that has apparently lost her mind, her manners and her ability to poop in the potty instead of her pants...it was just a shitty few days. Again, I thank God for my very patient and helpful husband...and also for percocet. I went to my ob Monday morning and the cultures came back - it's MRSA staph.Yeck, just hearing the word staph infection makes me feel dirty, I sware we practice good hygiene at our house!!  She put me on a new antibiotic and referred me to a breast surgeon immediately because of the now very large size of both abscesses. He was able to get me in monday afternoon and determined that surgery was needed to remove them asap. 
So I basically cried all afternoon because my hormones are still a mess from giving birth and I wont be able to breast feed from that breast for at least 3 weeks (and then maybe not at all depending on how many ducts
were damaged by the infection and/or during surgery.
My super sweet mother in law got up at the crack of dawn to drive to Huntsville this morning and take care of the kids.  Jim and I got to the hospital at 9:15 this morning.  I was hooked up to an IV with pain meds and antibiotics, then waited about 2 hours for the Dr (no biggie, I got to take a little nap...a rarity in my world these days)  They finally wheeled me back into the OR and gave me anesthesia...that's all I remember...woke up about an hour later in recovery with one heck of a headache and slight pain in my breast.   Dr was able to remove most of the infection so its up to my second round of antibiotics to take care of the rest.  
Recovery is about 2 Weeks.   Home health care will come twice a day to change the packed dressing.  I have to pump and dump for the first 24 hours, then Weston can only nurse on the left breast.  
I can't wait to be back at 100 percent, between this and the csection I've been out of it for almost 6 weeks.   Thanks to our wonderful friends and neighbors who have helped out with food, babysitting, moral support, etc...we would not have made it through the last month without y'all.

2 comments:

  1. Jaime, I'm so sorry! I cannot imagine what you were going through! Praying for a fast recovery for you and cooperation from your little ones :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no Jaime! That sounds terrible! Praying for you to get better and back on your feet soon! Oh the joys of breastfeeding! You will get through this! Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete