"The ordinary acts we practice every day at home are of more importance than their simplicity might suggest" Thomas Moore

Thursday, February 2, 2012

AHHH...Naptime {sigh}...How I Miss Thee

I'm really at a loss about Hastings nap time!  She is so wound up by the time she gets home from school that it takes an hour (at least) just to get her to be still/quiet.  Even on the days she doesn't go to school she's not likely to nap.  She'll lay and read books or play quietly in her room for over an hour, but ask her to close her eyes and go to sleep???  Ummm NO!  Cue the waterworks & meltdown!   I'm pretty sure kids her age should keep taking naps until they are a bit older....at least for the mothers sanity....right?  no nap = dinnertime tantrum, followed by shower tantrum, followed by storytime tantrum, followed by (my personal favorite) lengthy bedtime tantrum.  I've tried skipping the nap and just putting her to sleep early (like super early...6:00pm) but she doesn't get a quality sleep and ends up waking up 2 or 3 times during the night.  I've also tried good old fashioned bribery...nothing short of "Daddy will buy you a real live pony if close your eyes for 5 minutes!"  I would really appreciate any tips, advice or words of wisdom that anyone has! Are naps over? Is this a phase? Will nap times ever return?

1 comment:

  1. I'm sure it is just a phase. I know it's tough though. We need them to take a nap just as much as they need to take one. Hudson still takes pretty good naps most days, but he does refuse them sometimes too and it makes for a long afternoon and even worse night, like you said! I will say that a lot of the times that Hudson has refused a nap are usually associated with him having an ear infection because it hurts him to lay down. He usually wakes several times during the night too when this is the case. I hope that is not what is going on with her, but it is something to think about. Hang in there! I'm sure she will go back to napping soon!

    ReplyDelete